Canada OKs troubled Boeing 737 MAX 8 jets to resume service this week


Boeing’s troubled 737 MAX 8 jets can resume flying in Canadian airspace this week.

Transport Canada deemed the grounded jets airworthy and said it will lift the ban on flying the jets on Wednesday, which will allow Canadian airlines to begin operating them once more.

READ MORE: Boeing 737 MAX could soon return to Canadian skies as officials OK design changes

Aviation authorities around the world grounded the jets roughly 20 months ago following devastating twin air crashes just months apart that killed just shy of 350 people.

Fatal flaws in some of the aircraft sensors were shown to have repeatedly forced the nose of the jets down even as pilots fought to right the jets.

Transport Canada says those flaws have now been fixed.

Story continues below advertisement

Families of the victims, however, have argued the plane should be permanently grounded.






Ethiopians remember 737 MAX crash 1-year anniversary at wreckage site


Ethiopians remember 737 MAX crash 1-year anniversary at wreckage site – Mar 9, 2020

In a statement announcing the authorization to resume flights, Transport Canada said its officials have spent roughly 15,000 hours investigating and reviewing the aircraft as well as the recommended changes to the sensor and software designs involved in the fatal crashes.

The agency also emphasized the unusual step of issuing its own airworthiness directive rather than relying on the authorization of the aircraft by the U.S. Federal Aviation Authority.

READ MORE: A look at what Canadian airlines are doing with their Boeing 737 MAX 8s fleets

Air Canada, West Jet and Air Transat began training their pilots on the new changes late last month.

The return to service is set to come two months ahead of the second anniversary of the Ethiopian Airlines crash in March 2019, which was the second crash of one of the troubled planes in the span of five months and forced global aviation authorities to ground the aircraft indefinitely.

Story continues below advertisement

Eighteen Canadians died in the two crashes.




© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Translate »